BACK TO NEWS
Carbon County- Free Seminar for Non-Profit Organizations: Anti-Theft and Fraud Prevention
JIM THORPE, PA, September 14, 2021– A free seminar for Carbon County nonprofit organizations is being held on Thursday, October 7, 2021, 6:30-8pm at the Carbon County Technical Institute, Cafeteria: 150 W. 13th St., Jim Thorpe, PA 18229, on the topic of “Anti-Theft and Fraud Prevention.”
The seminar is sponsored the Mauch Chunk Trust Company. The speaker is John M. Nonnemacher, CPA with Snyder & Clemente Accountants & Consultants, and is hosted by Michael S. Greek, Carbon County District Attorney.
“The recent news of thefts at some local nonprofit organizations highlights the importance of sound internal controls and fraud prevention,” said John M. Nonnemacher, CPA. “Unfortunately, these thefts erode the public’s confidence in nonprofit organizations as a whole and take away funds intended to help the organizations achieve their mission. This free seminar will help prevent such thefts from occurring in the future.”
"The many nonprofit organizations here in Carbon County are vital to helping those in need. It is unfortunate when they are victims of theft,” said Michael S. Greek. “I’m hosting this seminar because there are simple steps which these organizations can take to prevent them from being victimized. I’m committed to prosecuting these theft cases to the fullest extent of the law. However, it is much better to prevent the thefts from occurring in the first place because, very often, recouping monetary losses in a Court case can take a good deal of time and effort. In most cases the perpetrator of the theft has spent the funds which were stolen.”
The seminar will also cover certain general topics related to nonprofit organizations.
Seminar Topics Include:
• Basic Antifraud and Theft Prevention Internal Controls
• Federal and Pennsylvania Reporting Requirements
• Organization Officer and Directors Oversight Responsibilities
• Internal Controls Related to Cash Receipts and Disbursements
• Pennsylvania Sales Tax Exemptions for Nonprofit Organizations
• Reporting Fundraising Income and Expenditures
• How to Apply for IRS 501 (c)(3) Tax Exempt Status
• Fraud and Theft Warning Signs and "Red Flags"
• How to Start a Nonprofit Organization in Pennsylvania
Free snacks and refreshments will be provided.
To register for this free seminar, please visit www.mct.bank/rsvp or call 570-325-2265.
Back to NEWS